PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Night engine out auto: video link
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2004, 03:05
flygunz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's always a good result when the crew escape a crash like this one but before you all congratulate the Pilot on an outstanding job, I would raise the following criticisms and ask the following questions:

Based solely on the video evidence the 333 clearly suffered an engine power loss. The non handling Pilot had to tell the handling Pilot twice to enter Auto. The immediate actions following an engine failure should be instinctive. Based on the video, the Pilot was slow to react.
During the turn or in fact at any time, the Pilot said nothing and approaching the ground did not attempt to fly a technique that would arrest the rate of descent, reduce the forward groundspeed and rate of closure. The non handling Pilot screams for a flare as the video stops suggesting the handling Pilot was not up with the situation and was fixated by events (wires and ground rush).

Questions:

During the conversion to type of this helicopter for this job how many full engine out landings are practised?

If the perception of a 'veteran' is one of a Pilot age 26 with only 7 years experience, then what is the definition of an experienced Pilot?

If that landing was 'textbook' as described by the Police Chief, can I get a copy?

In my opinion, this is a case of better being lucky than good.