PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ETOPS question
Thread: ETOPS question
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2004, 15:48
loewy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ETOPS question

Hi all !

I have been a very frequent flyer for years (both business and leisure) with over 110 segments per year, mostly within Europe. I also hold private pilot licence and am a knowledgeable aviation enthousiast who reads most publications, including Flight International. I have alsways been very relaxed about flying an never had any serious mis-hap neither when flying commercial, nor private.

Only recently, I have started to have some strange thoughts... and questions

I read everywhere - including in these excellent PPRuNe forums - that when an engine fails, be it with or without fire, the first thing the crew does is to request landing permission. Often, one reads that the engine failure could have had significant consequences if a rapid landing hadn't been possible.

This means that, should this happen over the Atlantic, being sometimes several hours away from an alternate, an engine failure could potentially have catastrophic consequences. I am familiar with the ETOPS regulations.

I understand that my concerns are rather theoretical and that the risk is very low but I guess what I am looking for is some reassurance from you professionals that this is an event that can REALLY be managed at FL370 and poses little threat to the crew and passengers. I have just found myself a little uneasy in recent Transatlantic flights aboard 330s or 767s ...

Thanks for your replies and ... good landings,

L