PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Does anyone knows what happed to BAE Systems
Old 25th Feb 2004, 08:09
George Foreman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A postcard from Jerez..

I don't post here often (I simply don't have the time) but reading this unfair thread I feel the need to set the record straight!

I am a self-sponsored student here at Jerez, having signed a contract with the company last June, when it was owned by BAE Systems. I have to say that notwithstanding some natural concern amongst the student body at the time BAE Systems' plan to exit the commercial flight training business was announced last September, the transition to Flight Training Europe has been smooth, and life goes on pretty much as before so far as delivery of the service is concerned. The weather is a bit naff this week for VFR, so we are pressing on with groundschool, but that isn't exactly the management's fault !

The new management team are straight-talking and approachable. They are communicating with us and they seem to me to be doing the right things. Sure numbers are down on what they once were, but this is a cyclical business and that seems to be the case at other integrated schools in recent times. New courses are being run every couple of months; smaller class sizes but that is no bad thing if you're a student !

When I first came out here to look around and do the aptitude tests I stayed on campus for a couple of nights and I had ample opportunity to talk openly to instructors and students. I would encourage anyone considering Jerez (or any other FTO) to do likewise.

Before people start sneering from the sidelines, apart from a PPL I haven't experienced flight training anywhere else. I too looked at various other integrated and modular training options .. at the end of the day choosing an FTO is very much about your personal circumstances.

Enough of the brown-nosing .. I just wanted to say that it has all turned out well. Change is a given and no organisation can ever plan perfectly, but life on the inside is generally good, dare I say fun even, and thus far I'm getting the quality training that I signed up for...

Many happy landings to all, whatever you decide.

George.

PS as I haven't seen it referenced here, the new website is www.flighttrainingeurope.com

Last edited by George Foreman; 25th Feb 2004 at 22:24.