PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Uxbridge/Northolt Spitfire?
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2004, 06:20
Speedbird48

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uxbridge/Northolt Spitfire?

Does anyone know where this machine went to? I believe it may have been made flyable but cannot find any reference.
It was on the gate at Uxbridge for many years with a M???? serial and then went to Northolt around 1961/62.
I was sent to Uxbridge with Jim Dell to dismantle it and load it on a Queen Mary. We got caught when the boss came by and asked if we knew anything about Spitfires, to which the reply was "of course we do" thinking we were on to a good thing!!
The day was extremly foggy and we worked away to a chorus of NCO's yelling at the Queens Colour Squad with a bit of help from Jim until the fog cleared?? The aircraft was in good shape with all the bolts and screws well greased and we had it done by lunch. The engine was just a frame to mount a prop hub on.
I seem to remember that it carried two serial numbers on various panels and one of them was possibly PS110?
In later years I believe it was used in the Battle of Britain film as a prop and then another one went to Northolt but I could be wrong?
Anyway I am assured that the pprune guys know everything so I await your response.
Thanks in advance.