PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Downwind turns equal disaster??
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2004, 03:21
overpitched

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nick...

So how does disymetry of lift and retreating blade stall fit into all this ?? If a plane can't tell its turning downwind why does the blade have less lift on the retreating(downwind) side ??

Your point about conducting the experiment in flight is valid obviously but there may be reasons why the changes are not detectable to the pilot. I might find myself right where Aristotle did. Good experiments wrong answer.

So if we are not operating according to Newtons first law

I. Every object in a state of uniform motion tends to remain in that state of motion unless an external force is applied to it.

I would like to know under which law we are operating just for my own benefit and interest.

TeeS

I understand what you are saying but it's not relevant as the balloon has no airspeed. The balloon and the wind have the same relative motion... unlike a moving helicopter or a plane that are moving relative to the wind not floating along with. Now give your balloon 20 knots of airspeed and run around inside it. Tell me you won't notice a difference running into the wind or downwind.

Whirly...

Thanks for the ideas but I don't think you have it clear in your own head. You seemed to be contradicting yourself( as a lot of people seem to have so far in this discussion ) or was that the other whirly sitting on the other side of the fence.

Last edited by overpitched; 25th Feb 2004 at 05:09.