PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Runway Strength
Thread: Runway Strength
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2004, 21:10
You splitter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini,

Do you use Jeppesen's for assessing airfield usability?
If you do in the Airport Directory Section there is a work through guide for PCN and ACN.

Breifly;

PCN = Pavement Classification Number. For example look up BFS. RWY 07/25 is given as PCN71/R/B/X/T

There is a de-code on page 5 of the airport directory.
R = Rigid pavement
B = Medium (Sub grade strength)
X = Medium (Tyre pressure category)
T = Technical (The method used for assessment)

Pages 7 thru 22 of this section contain tables relating to ACN (Aircraft Classification Number).

Look up the Aircraft Type. In my case BAe146-200 with standard pressure tyres (Page 11)

There are two weights given. One is empty the other is Max Apron Mass. Assuming I wish to operate through the airfield with a full aircraft I would work on the larger figure.

Moving across the table you will come to two sections.
ACN relative to Rigid pavement types and ACN relative to Flexible types. Refering to my PCN for BFS above 'R' stands for rigid so this is the box I would use. 'B' is the sub grade for medium so again this is the cloumn I would look down. It gives an ACN of 21.7 for this aircraft at this weight.

As this does not exceed the PCN of 71 I am well within limits for this airfield.

When airfeilds start getting into Isolated wheel loads and the like, it gets much more complicated.

If you want to know anything else you can always PM me,

Hope this helps.

YS