PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lufthansa incident in 2000
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2004, 15:08
Briza

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't know yet

Hello,

as I am working for Lufthansa, at the first glance it really seems strange to say the least. But nevertheless I will be at the airport today and even try to check the details. As for such an incident a flight report is mandatory and even a rehearsal afterwards, there for sure would be still some files...
I will try to inform you if I encounter anything.

What else I got to say?
To be honest with you: first thing you do in any abnormal situation is: FLY THE AIRCRAFT.
You got lots to do during an engine failure/malfunction. Reading checklists, consider where to go or to stay, weather, inform ATC and company, prepare emergency landing and inform cabin crew and so on. So please do understand that a passenger call will move a somewhat to the end of your item list.
And normally with one engine out we do not brief for a creash landing, so there is NO cabin preparation, as a commercial aircraft as well as its pilot should be able to land quite safely with only one operating engine. Just imagine that Boeing did NOT include the otherwhere stated callout 'Safety position' in the ENG OUT list.
(Yeah, this would be actually the ONE ENG INOP LDG for the fault-finders amongst you).
About the English announcement: if you are _really_ concerned with a lot of other stuff, you sometimes don't get up to your used perfect English skills, at least you know what was happening. More isn't said normally anyway.

About the other incident:
Yeah, shouldn't happen. CPT should have said something. Problem with such situations which happen once in a while:
nobody really knows when things are gonna change (here being weather, traffic situation, slot, EMER being in progress...).
Might be you are ready to go in ten minutes, maybe it is still two hours until these things change? You have sometimes no chance to tell!
And cabin crew then sometimes doesn't know: give complentary drinks already, wait a little bit longer? They know even less...

Just wanted to give you some information so far, will try to get back on you later,

~b