PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AIPA .... cutting the angry mob off at the pass....
Old 24th Feb 2004, 05:06
wayne_king

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bonvol and co,
the problem for you guys is that out of 2200 members on the two posts about AIPA that you have going on this chat room only a handful seem to be bothered to support your position.

Now there may be others who have the same sentiments but just can't be bothered to write anything, and I can understand that. However, what you need to consider is if they need to take industrial action to achieve the hard line stance you propose will those same people who can't be bothered saying anything be bothered to stick their necks out? And by stick their necks out, I mean that will be the perception of taking industrial action, whether or not you are taking a risk, people will think it's a risk and that will influence their choice to help the cause.

You see, conviction is often a luxury of those on the sideline, ranting in the crewroom or blustering on the flight deck, basically anywhere in relative privacy, but when you put them in the spotlight, across the table from the Company, half the people you rely on will crumble.

I don't believe the AIPA reps have or will crumble. What they are probably unsure of and reluctant to test is the conviction of their members to stand up and be counted. Now getting 700 to an SGM is impressive and does allow AIPA to negotiate with the company with both parties knowing the membership is interested and watching. What it does not tell you is will all of the 50 year old-plus long haul captains support any action, which can only be taken in a protected period anyway, or will they simply not give a hoot? Using this particular group is just an example but it relevant to the group at large, because if you are going to threaten the company then you had better make sure you can achieve your threat or you will be finished.

So, negotiate the best deal possible and if, at the end of the day, it is so bad that it cannot be tolerated then you go back and tell troops the story and see what they say. But everyone needs to be aware of the risks and aware of the committment they must make, because to embark on the path you suggest means there are no half measures, once you start you see it through, or you'll come out alot worse. Nonetheless, the end of the day is not here yet, it's just late afternoon, and there's plently to still be done before it gets dark.

I for one know that if everyone sticks together we will acieve a far better outcome and get exactly what we want, but getting 2200 to stick together isn't easy and anyone who thinks differently is niave and historically ignorant. And if you think the rants of even 10% gives you a mandate and the support to go ape you're a fool, and will be dealt with as such.