PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - noise campaigners-the right to moan?
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2004, 01:23
mrodent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Devil dear brainless children

Obviously many of the contributors to this thread are rather young and seem rather worried about their own job prospects.

The first thing that must be understood by the aviation people in this thread is that the idea that Heathrow is at all beneficial to the economy of London and the Thames Valley is rejected by many expert economics academics speaking from positions of impartiality. Do your homework on this point before you reply. But this point is a crucial one. You lot are actually wrong about this: you must understand you are not on the moral high ground here, quite the opposite...

Second: you have to be very stupid indeed not to appreciate how millions of Londoners of all ages, sexes, economic categories, etc. etc. are massively pissed off when, on a summer weekend, they can't sit in their garden, local park, roof terrace, etc. listening to the sounds of summer without the vile roaring of endless streams of aircraft frames (yes, it's the frames as much as the engines so it ain't gonna change with new technology).

Third, Heathrow is singularly inappropriate as a hub. Roissy is 30 miles out of Paris, and surrounded by far fewer residential districts. I can't remember whehter they have 3 or 4 runways now. Clearly it would be far better if someone flying from Edinburgh to Tokyo changed planes in Paris rather than London.

Fourth: only a complete cretin likes the sounds of aircraft roaring overhead at 6 am on a weekend morning. Grow up. Why, intrinsically, should any pro-aviation person object to this time being shifted forward to 7 am or 9 am on Saturdays and Sundays?

Fifth: any line like "move out to another area then" is just baby-talk. I love London, and I don't actually hate the people who fly civil aviation, but I do hate the aviation industry shareholder-cynics who have manipulated unsubtle, uneducated people like you into thinking that you are speaking a) truth or b) virtue by the line taken in this thread.

Sixth: it's all about politics. Numbers are what matter here... and there's little point in trading insults.... let battle commence .

Signed
A person in their forties living a long way from Heathrow in South London, surrounded by neighbours who hate the noise just as much as me!!!