PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nav exam nightmare!!!
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2004, 01:21
SpeedBird 001

Hey Foz,

I have only had my PPL for 8 months or so and have been exactly where you are now. Worse even. I made ultra silly mistakes in the exam and failed the NAV twice. I kid you not I scored 72.5% on them both. Ask 'angels 25' - she was the one who tore me across the coals - but in a nice way

I really thought it was a trip to the big house for me to sit my fourth sitting but that wasn't the case. Nailed it third attempt. Anyway, I kept messing up on the bloody wizzy-wheel and made the simple mistake of mis-reading U.S or imperial gallons as the answer and the exam paper was there to catch me on it too. It just knew I would jump at the nearest answer on the paper. Reading specific gravity wrong and the rest of it seemed to be a habit for me. There are a whole load of things people could preach to you about how to get through the exam. But you gotta find out the best method for you. My advice is to sit down and learn why your doing what you are doing. Don't just sit there and follow the manual. "Wind, Drift, east is least, oh no east is best, no no it's definately least" ect. Try and get a feel for why easterly variation will give you a decreased compass heading (don't shoot me down on this people - I'm just picking an example!!!). My friend was the same when it came to the technical part. He knows sod all about engines. His exact words were "when the prop stops at least I know my mayday call!!" But thats not the point. If the prop stops, you gotta think quick and get the airplane trimmed and start assessing the situation. The more you know the better chance you will have. You should know why your getting the nose down and why your checking to make sure the primer is in and locked. I'm not preaching, just trying to set up a situation. Someone who flies through the restart checks because it's what you have to do could miss something. It's the same with NAV. If you just rip through the questions coz you've seen one similar in the example questions you are sure to get caught out on silly things. I know it's going on a bit but I know exactly how you feel. But if all else fails. Ask. I'm sure there are instructors where you are that'll happily give you advice. And if not - move

As for the ATPL's be under no illusion they are monsters. I've only just enrolled and have been wading through the notes but not affraid. Just gonna take things one step at atime and get a real base of knowledge that'll help me in the exams. After all that my point is to take it easy, don't work yourself up. Read the questions and get a feel for what it is asking - don't develop an answer till you've read the whole question. You never know. The rate I'm going I'll probaly see you in bristol next year!!!!! (If you go there that is)

All the best
Birdseed :ok