PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SA CAA to probe foreign cargo firm
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2004, 00:59
orgasmotron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About time I would say. These aircraft compete with western aircraft without the associated costs. SA operators have to spend millions of rands a year to maintain airworthiness standards. Not to metion crew training to part 121 standards.

I would like to know when last did crews on these aircraft attend CRM, Simulator, EPT, Fire Fighting, Technical Training, Dangerous Goods Training and ACAS training. (I doubt these aircraft even have ACAS II).

Nothing against Russian aircraft, but these so called foreign operators have lived in SA for at least the past 12 years. Registering there aircraft in states such as Burundi, is an obvious way to circumvent local legislation.

These guys just want money with no regard for safety. There is a licensed South African operator who operates Russian built Antonov aircraft. His aircraft are ZS registered, Crew licensed with South African Licenses and all aircraft manuals and documents in English. Why does this guy has to spend so much money to operate according to the law ? The CAA has to protect legal operators against these so called foreign operators.

In the mean time, ZS aircraft are constantly inspected whenever they land in African States. These inspections then often result in money changing hands due to certain perceived non-compliances such as the crew not wearing a tie with their uniforms or due to the Radio Station License not bearing an impressive stamp (Computer generated does not apply to Africa). But aircraft registered in some of these small states flies into our airspace all the time. Some even without the required crew compliment. How is that for double standards.