PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did you get it up this weekend ?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2004, 18:14
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flew twice yesterday - a total of another 1:20 towards my Flying Instructor rating. It was bl00dy windy - but straight down the runway - a little interesting on landing, but no real problem. Sounds like I was lucky, if others had to cancel flights.

First flight, my instructor taught me Effects of Controls part 2. No real problem, except that I wasn't convinced by the way he demonstrated how to stop the pitch when changing flap settings. A quick discussion about different techniques, and we agreed that it didn't really make much difference whether you use my method or his method, as long as the student gets the point. Back to the airfield, and I stopped being a "student" and took the controls for the approach and landing. The first time I've managed a semi-reasonable landing from the right hand seat, so I was happy, especially given the conditions.

Second flight was Straight and Level 1. Interesting to realise how difficult it is to do to this when the horizon is anything other than perfectly clear. We all develop the ability to fly in hazy conditions by looking at all the clues we have as well as the horizon, but yesterday I was forced to remember that students in the very early stages of their PPL can't do this. Very interesting. Also had a chat with my instructor about why I seem to be incapable of taking off from the right-hand seat, which we think is because the ASI is so far away from me that I need to consciously look at it to determine when to rotate, which I hadn't been doing.

Next weekend, weather permitting, I'll be taught Straight and Level 2. And then it'll be my turn to give my instructor a lesson. I have a choice of Effects of Controls 1, Effects of Controls 2 or Straight and Level 1. I think I'll teach him Effects of Controls 2 first - that seems like the easiest of the three.

FFF
-------------