PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Swissair Pilots cheated exams for years
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2004, 14:49
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Grammar grubs and who? I know it's getting off the point, but those of us who left a post war secondary school with nothing but a thick ear, later sat beside ex RAF pilots and (for example) physics graduates, with little difference in exam results, and at least in some "independents", much the same career progress. It would be a shame if too much store is set by exam results. Having said this, I find it somewhat galling to think that some folk were given a free lunch, when we slogged for six days for the CPL then later, another five working days - in sundry town-halls - to do the senior licence...though I have to confess, drawing nifty pictures of pendulous vanes, never gave me much help. It was somewhat at variance with the ATP which I did c1985. That took one hour total.

Of course the exams should be a useful pre-curser to modern aviation, and I think, a huge improvement in the teaching techniques of electrics is vital. The basic systems are fairly straight forward to the average pilot, allbeit a lot of work. However, some of the clues to serious problems are very subtle but could be taught if some of the other c**p were swept out of the way..