PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ascoteers Multiple Choice
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2004, 05:39
BEagle

Received 334 Likes on 116 Posts
OK - just the one 'DAC' tale then...

Trucky 10s weren't allowed to carry pax with 'DAC' on board, but as tankers didn't carry pax (just 'role support personnel'!), no such rule applied. One day we were tasked to train a 10 Sqn crew in the art of AAR trails - and off we set for Saudi Arabia in a virtually empty VC10 with just the crew, groundcrew and some MAMS folk. During the flight I asked what the DAC was. "It's here, sir", replied the ALM and so it was. It consisted of 3 tins of green vehicle paint! Now I'm sure that nowhere in Saudi Arabia is there any paint which has been tested by the Boscombe Down of the MT world down to 20 fathoms and up to outer space; hence Saudi vehicle paint cannot therefore be safely applied to HM's Landies, but why on Earth is there any need for f*****g green paint in the Kingdom of Saud? Isn't it a sort of deserty colour, in general?? Not much in the way of grass or trees, as I recall....

No doubt there was, at precisely the same time, some Army Quartermaster in a vehicle depot in Germany wondering who'd sent him tins of desert-pink paint?