PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ascoteers Multiple Choice
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2004, 04:32
SirToppamHat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More DAC ?

I know a chap who was recovered to UK from the Falklands for compassionate reasons for 10 days (along with huge shopping list and a bag of cash from the guys on his mountain).

Said chap bought 30 Xmas crackers for the upcoming FIxmas celebrations. Got them home, but thought he ought to check with the people at a secret base somewhere in Oxfordshire that they weren't classed as DAC.

Eventually, he ended up speaking to a sqn ldr in 2 Gp who was the authority for such things. Explained situation, didn't want to cause trouble at the secret base somewhere in Oxfordshire, trying to anticipate and resolve problem beforehand rather than present at check-in.
The sqn ldr confirmed he could give authority for carriage, but was not prepared to do so. My friend very politely asked whether there was some specific rule governing carriage, precedent etc. The response? "I am saying no because I can."

OK says my friend, but if I remove the snaps, then I can presumably carry them on board? "No snags says Sqn Ldr W@nker, just ensure the box is clearly marked and can be opened for the movements staff to inspect.

My friend removed all the snaps, rolled them up individually in silver foil and inserted them in an envelope for safe keeping.

Friend's wife not aware, thinks friend has forgotten snaps and posts envelope to FI. Friend's ac delays. Next ac catches up. Late heliops etc etc. Arrives back at mountain. Delivers entire top 20 Playstation Games, ingredients for chef and so on. Sits down to be handed mail off the same heliops that delivered him, including, you guessed it, the snaps!