PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter crash at Newcastle
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2004, 20:16
headsethair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vortex Ring

IMHO I think the problem is really that of "how to handle downwind". The UK exercise for "how to recognise VR" is conducted at altitude with very little airspeed. You feel the shudder, see the rate of descent accelerate, stuff the nose down - and that's it.
Not many pilots (particularly private) will ever get a heli in that situation except in a towering descent. And normally with those you have no height to give you energy - so you and your machine are stuffed.
Far more common is the VR experienced with a downwind landing or emergency stop. I cannot forget the video I saw at the RHC Safety Course of the 44 crash in the far east - a downwind approach for photographic purposes, pilot lost control no doubt in VR and the machine skidded across its landing spot on its side.
Sadly, the landing spot was atop a skyscraper hotel and the crash didn't end there but 15 floors down the side.
So - more instruction should be given in downwind approaches and handling. And an emergency stop comes in that category.

Last edited by headsethair; 23rd Feb 2004 at 02:59.