PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates DECs
Thread: Emirates DECs
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2004, 11:09
bus canuck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry FF, I missed the "DEC" part of your financial question. I am on the F/O side of the ledger. It's a sore point. I have been flying professionally for over 20 years, the last 15 before EK as Captain on transport aircraft. When EK changed the rules, I was disadvantaged. The vast majority of F/O's here are fully qualified for Captain by any international standard. It's EK's folly to bypass them.

However, it's certainly not your fault and I don't hold any grudges to good guys who come under the "new" rules.

Back, then, to your financial question. I would suggest that a 7 year Captain with 2 kids can have a good lifestyle and save money. I would guess that $3000-$4000 USD per month could be saved. It sounds like a lot, but I don't think it's enough to lead to freedom 55.

On another topic, did someone really suggest that a move to California would be good because of the driving?!?!? Surly this is a joke, right? (Honestly, the way the post is written I can't tell. Apologies if this is written by someone who has English as a second or third language...) I like California and have spent lots of time there. Yet entire movies have been made about the driving problems. That's not to mention the fact that every second car has a loaded pistol in it!

Regardless, I have to back up Fish. The lifestyle here is great (not perfect) and it's rather petty for someone from away to trash it.