PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Rent-a-Mob
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2002, 19:11
733driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
just got back from court in cologne, germany. I read the initial post on this topic and thought I might aswell go there since I live and work in cologne and have the day off. First off there was hardly anybody there except 2or 3 students holding up some sheets of paper (not exactly banners) to get the promised free tickets. I didīnt even see those people but a journalist I talked to in front of the court-room told me he saw them. The "trial" itself was totally unspectacular. The room was tiny, just two seat rows for observers, there were approx. 15 journalists and three TV teams, from local TV stations I suppose. The whole thing was about a specific advertisement from Ryanair which they puplished November last year. They had compared prices between them and Lufthansa even though neither departure nor destination airport were the same, sometimes not even close. The court had earlier decided in favour for LH and made it illegal for Ryanair to go on with this specivic ad. Ryanair opposed and todays "trial" was to clarify if the initial court ruling would stand. Ryanair has changed their ads in the meantime, though. So the outcome of todays ruling does not affect the way they are advertising now or in the future. This would have to be a seperate case, according to the judge. Ryanair was represented by a german lawyer and one of their own legal people and the marketing and sales managers for germany. Lufthansa was represented by a lawyer, a LH legal person on one more lady whos function I donīt remember. My personal impression was that the LH lawyer must have been a very good one, and the ryanair lawyer seemed very unsure about the whole thing, interupting the trial several times to consult with the FR people. He also seemed to know that he didnīt have much of a chance in this particular case. I didnīt stay to the end so I donīt know the outcome, which doesnīt matter anyway, since this was, like I said, not about the name of Hahn airport or anything else interesting but only about one adverisement in the past.