PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Living in Singapore
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2004, 06:58
Foreign Worker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Red Hot Chili Pepper is quite correct.

On current exchange rates, which see the SIN dollar falling in sympathy with the USD, one would need to spend $1,200 of his/her $3.000 - or 40% - on rent.
IF one netted $3,000.
The REALITY is, the salary that Air Hong Kong pays is US40k p.a..
On a post (22% flat rate) tax payout, that works out at US31,200 - US2,400 per month (on a 13 month salary..which is what Singapore works on.)

As those who have worked in Singapore are WELL aware, Singapore employers work on a 12 months + 1 bonus month to one year. In other words, a 13 month year (because 4 weeks = 1 month, and there are 52 weeks in 1 year!)

Thus the US31,200 p.a. equates to a neat US2,400 per month - which after paying your landlord almost half in rent, will leave you just over $1,000 per month for water, electricity, food, transport, entertainment, medical expenses, etc.

Singaporeans may find this a reasonable deal, as I believe Air Hong Kong would likely additionally have to contribute to the compulsory pension scheme.

As I wrote in my previous observation, Mr Davies is EXTREMELY (intentionally?) vague with conditions offered. Allow mw to quote some examples (my highlighting).

For example an 8-day pattern could attract an additional payment of approximately US$400.00
and
Pilots will be entitled 28 days annual leave. They are also entitled to sick leave, maternity leave and compassionate leave
The precise amount not nominated.
The Company will provide medical insurance cover to the employee, spouse and dependent children in accordance with Company Policy

Last edited by Foreign Worker; 22nd Feb 2004 at 07:12.