PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ascoteers Multiple Choice
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2004, 03:25
BEagle

Received 334 Likes on 116 Posts
The only time I was ever really annoyed with 'The Movers' was when we arrived back at the Covert Oxonian Aerodrome from Akronelli with a Vickers Funbus load of wives and nippers in the depths of winter. Being SLF from Cyprus, they were all dressed in non-UK winter clothes. Despite our inbound call to Ops, there was no transport waiting to take them to the Passenger Terminal - they were supposed to manage babies, baby clobber, handbaggage and the like as they trudged through the slush from some remote parking slot (the waterfront, as ever, being jammed with taskless TriShaws). I asked for wheels and overheard the Air Vice Corporal on the pax desk say "Tell them to walk" to the receiving DAMO. So I 'borrowed' the DAMO's radio and 'asked' him to think again about his helpful suggestion. We ended up ferrying the women and children to the Terminal in the crew transport as the alternative would have been a long wait whilst the movers did what they should have done in the first place - sort out some bŁoody transport!

As far as I was concerned, my job didn't stop at HP to OFF - it ended when the pax were safely in the terminal. "Hello, everyone, this is your Captain......" means that's who they'll remember when it turns to doo-doo and all they get is a set of steps and a long cold walk with whingeing rugrats - so yes, you Movers bŁoody well should jump to it and play your part when the captain has a legitimate reason for making a fairly obvious request.

We call it 'customer care' in the real, non-military world!