PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nigerian expat f/o's
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2004, 22:11
George Tower

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I happen to know one Nigerian pilot and he's as daft as a brush. Approximately 60 hours to go solo and because of family connections he's assured a cushy job back in Nigeria when he has his CPL (that'll probably about 2015 at that rate of progress).

I'm not for a minute suggesting all African's cannot fly far from it, but I for one believe passionately that in order to be a successful pilot you have go to have that love of flying. You need that love of flying as that is what keeps you going through all the crap times this industry throws at you.

What I find objectionable is the point of view put forward that the operators in Africa are somehow exploiting African and Africans. That argument has been applied to global politics and big business for decades as if they were responsible for Africa's problems, totally ignoring the rife corruption that pervades all aspects of life on the continent.

Legislation and regulation except in matters of safety generally achieves nothing for the greater good. If the Nigerian government want's to train more pilots but doesn't want to pay for it they shouldn't mandate foreign companies to do it. That way they will only deter foreign investment and possibly compromise safety. I favour training more African pilots but not by forcing foriegn companies to do. Perhaps they should provide incentives in the way of tax breaks to these companies, as lets not forget margins in aviation are normally very tight, and these companies have to make a profit. They are not charities or state owned monoliths whose financial mis-management is offset by the hard working tax payer.

Finally if it is the intention to train more African pilots lets for heavens sake get the right kinds of people. Having lived in Africa some time it seems to me that your average African is probably more obsessed with status and image than his european counterpart....you ain't no one if you don't drive a Mercedes S class that kind of thing. Well with being a pilot being perceived as very glamourous the odds are very high on any training schemes that are set up will attract such people who want to do the job because it involves a nice uniform with epaulettes and gold braid, or simply that these people will probably be just supporters/friends/hangers on to whatever dubious regime is running a particular country.

Just my two pennies worth!