PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Downwind turns equal disaster??
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2004, 09:00
Chuck Ellsworth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I should know better, but, I have to comment on this subject.

I've been flying fixed wing for over fifty years and rotarcraft for thirty nine years.

Low level flying has been a great part of my career, fifteen years flying heavy fixed wing water bombers and seven years flying fixed and rotary wing aircraft in aerial application.

I have never experienced the down wind turning problem that some pilots claim can cause the sky to fall in on you, or the ground to rise up and smite thee.

I have however experienced many viscious up, down, roll, and airspeed excursions caused by wind sheer and wind gusts..... especially in the mountains.

In my experience it wouldn't matter a rats ass if you were flying down wind , up wind, x/wind or performing loops, the results remain the same..when the air is unstable.

As to gyroplane's crashing and blaming it on the dreaded down wind turn, may I suggest you examine the possibility that they were already right on the edge of the power curve and or a sudden gust unloaded the rotor resulting in a PPO.

For what it is worth I have a Commercial Gyroplane license as well as helicopter and have delved deeply into the high instances of crashes in gyroplanes......

In no instance can I clearly identify the so called down wind turn causing a loss of lift... there has always been some other factor involved usually gusty wind and quick steep roll into the turn at high power at low airspeed and high pitch angle.

Oh, I find that I can't get the Airbus to stall in any turn no matter how aggressive the control stick movement or what direction the wind is.

There is the answer to down wind turns ..get Airbus to computerize your rotorcraft.

Chuck