PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter crash at Newcastle
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2004, 08:19
MOSTAFA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Never flown a R22, I think you are a pretty plucky bunch of aviators to get into one. Please, I am not trying to be rude, just an honest appraisal from someone who had Her Majesty's budget to learn with many years ago. I know a lot of people didn't have that luxury.

Of course everyone must wait until they publish the accident report, but there is nothing wrong with using the replies on this thread to learn from, thats usually how we imbibe, from others. Sadly, a lot of the times that we learn are from mistakes, but I do not think that they should ever get personal. There but for the grace and all that! Should we not let the licencing authorites worry about age and the likes.

The only thing that really concerns me from reading this thread is the almost casual use of one of the most alarming exercises in helicopter aerodynamics, Vortex Ring. Thank God, nowadays its only talked about during instruction, isnt it? I should also make the point reading this thread that the R22 is generally talked about in the training or private hire role. I am certainly not trying to upset any commercial R22 operators out there.

I am certain that before any QHI sends a student off on their first solo, the student fully understands the symptoms, the requirements and most importantly the the recovery from a vortex ring state. Do people actually still go out and intentionally put helicopters into vortex ring? We stopped it in the military about 20 years ago and I have never done ot commercially. Why? because its dangerous, the stresses placed on the airframe are scary and telemetry shows that it is usually very expensive. If any of our readers believe they have experienced it below a 500' then they truly did not experience an established vortex ring state. Unless of course they crashed or were very fortunate indeed.

We all know there are several high risk areas, sadly most of us operate in those areas daily. There are also factors which aggravate those high risk areas and quick/emergency stops certainly fall into that catagory. But surely, they are purely advanced coordination exercises only!

Other than on continuation training (isn't that planned and all exercises at least thought about prior to entry). Other than an emergency situation thats going badly wrong or landing in mountainous areas with extremely bad up and downdraughts or operating in a high hover (R22) what possible reason is there for anybody to get themselves into a vortex ring state. Accidents do happen and sadly will continue to, food for thought and hopefully, discussion

Gonna get off my soapbox now