PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nigerian expat f/o's
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2004, 05:49
Tokunbo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just what do you expect? For many reasons there are shortages of pilots in many of the third world countries of Africa. For this reason there are many expat Captains here. However, in an effort to encourage European and American companies operating in Africa to help train local pilots so they can fill copilot positions and be the future Captains, many countries refuse to accept expatriates as copilots. It's hard luck for expatriates but good news for Africans from poor countries as it encourages those with money to train poor Africans with ability to be the African captains of the future.
The Nigerian CAA probably has absolutely nothing to do with it. It's probably government policy. It implies that the government is unwilling or unable to pay for training its own countrymen and is shifting this burden to the expatriate companies operating in (and making good profits out of) its country. Welcome to the real world of commerce and globalisation. Sorry if that sounds stark and harsh, but it's how real life is and now that compamies like Bristow no longer operate their own training schools for Nigerians it's one of the few ways that Africans can get trained and join the international pilot fraternity. I welcome this and hope that it will encourage all those foreign companies operating in Africa (provided they are really making a profit) to invest in their biggest asset - the people working for them - and training Africans with suitable aptitude and qualifications for the future.
For my fellow Africans, I would stress that this must be done on a proper basis as stated and the tribalism and family ties which have given a bad name to some of our brothers must be completely erased and only aptitude and qualifications be allowed to count.
Wow But this now be de truth-oh my brudders