PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ISK Superbase!
Thread: ISK Superbase!
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2004, 20:32
Biggus

Received 77 Likes on 35 Posts
Can't see ISK becoming a 'superbase', but I can see Lossiemouth closing. Some GR4 Sqns being "mothballed" (i.e cut!!), others relocating down south, so all Strike Attack assets are located close to each other. The one exception being the GR4 OCU which will move to Kinloss, so they can still practice all that low level flying in the Scottish Highlands!!

Why spend money on upgrading Scampton to move MR2s there when Kinloss is already fully functional!!

As for MM, he had the nerve to have a pop at me on another thread for daring to suggest that he had an "E-3Ds can do everything attitude"!!! Consider this MM, the E-3D was procured for the cold war as an Air Defence AEW asset, which I understand it does bu**er all of these days, as we only fight guys we already have air superiority over!! However, it has evolved into more of a C&C platform, and various other roles. Has MM not considered then that perhaps the MR2 has also evolved into a variety of roles other than its most obvious ones, which believe it or not do have a purpose!

If MM manages to convince MOD that MR2s 'don't have a purpose' perhaps all my mates on the Kipper fleet can stop going away to a variety of places, including some that are hot and sandy!! Are there any E-3Ds still flying in the Gulf, or have they served their 'purpose' and gone home for tea and medals, while various other RAF fleets carry on with the job??!!!!!