PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anyone ever flew with Royal Aero Club Of WA?
Old 19th Feb 2004, 20:21
Continental-520

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lookout

Mate,

Mostly a good decision. Now like everywhere, the RACWA has its pitfalls. Whilst they offer excellent facilities and a good learning environment as far as the theory goes, there is a lot they don't teach you in the practical sense. That goes for any flying school though, so can't really do much about that before you go out and get some experience.

Try not to fall into the instructor trap there once you're done with your training. Whilst it is a better paid gig than a lot of others out there and offers good working conditions, the type of flying you'll do out bush will be a better starting point for you if your ultimate goal is the heavies, or even corporate/RFDS, etc.

This is my most important point: Don't let them rip you off. They have a classic reputation for this. Have they quoted you for the CPL course? If so, make sure they stick to it/the training program assuming you don't require any extra training than what's stated in the training program. A lot of my peers who did the course with me ran way over budget and couldn't finish the course, and it wasn't a function of student ability/progress in all cases.

Just remember who the customer is. You decide when you wanna fly, not them. Whilst I don't regret doing my training there, they have become a business, not a club, and refuse to acknowledge it.