PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Q for Scott and Mike - Landing Clearances
Old 19th Feb 2004, 17:01
Giles Wembley-Hogg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Guys. I didn't want to add my thoughts to your Dunnunda thread as I have never flown in that part of the world and I didn't want to muddy the waters. I have flown in the US and to and from CDG and I would encourage you NOT to go down the route of giving landing clearances on first contact.

My reasoning behind this is that it gives the pilot no confidence that the ATCO has actually done anything to check that is, or will be, safe to land. When we get these sort of clearances there is often a chortle on the flightdeck and the feeling that "we are on our own again!"

If your problem is RT loading, can I suggest that instructing arriving aircraft from APP to "..report callsign only to TWR" works well, and having departing aircraft "... monitor TWR" is used successfully at a wide range of European airports.

If your problem is a 2.5nm arrival spacing being eroded quickly inside the marker/4DME (or your equivalent), then "... land after" or "... cleared to land after" work well in the UK with the added benefit of increasing the situational awareness of the preceding pilot.

Just my thoughts.

G W-H