PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline Psychometric Tests
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2004, 06:39
alexb757

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jam 123

In response to your question ENFJ = Extraversion/Intuition/Feeling/Judging.

The crystal ball says "Warm, empathetic, responsive and responsible. Highly attuned to emotions, needs and motivations of others. Find potential in everyone, want to help others fulfill their potential. May act as catalysts for individual and group growth. Loyal, responsive to praise and criticism. Sociable, facilitate others in a group, and provide inspiring leadership."

Don't have the professions type list based on these traits but would agree with Pilot Pete sentiments. At first pass, the ones that do conjur a picture would include social worker.

And for what it's worth, I am an ESTJ, an unemployed ex-Pat pilot living in the USA (where it is a totally different ball game - even PP would be surprised to know what I have discovered here), with a number of ICAO ATPLs and three Boeing type ratings but no job and no interview in almost 15 months of trying everything - and I mean everything. Interestingly, some of my earlier adversities mirror PP's but unlike him, I live in another country where all kinds of other things come into play.

Having got my UK CAA ATPL and had two previous airline jobs based in the UK, one thing I have observed over the years are the basic DIFFERENCES between two similar but very different cultures - US & EU/UK. In most of my experiences between the two, the Europeans are much more friendly and willing to talk to you (probably a numbers game) and generally are more conducive to assist you. They will tell you outright if they are hiring and what you need to do to get an interview. In the US, the norm is to get NO response at all even if you have been bugging them for months. Most will openly post "no walk-ins, no phone calls, no faxes - apply on line" or "only those that meet the above requiremnts and are current and typed need apply". HR's only raison d'etre is to screen candidates out - not to encourage them. The biggest problem by far is getting to an interview. Just because you are qualified and experienced and meet all their requirements does not mean you're going to be viewed favorably. Rather, if you know and have at least 3 or 4 strong recommendations from current pilots with that airline, that may be enough to tip the scales. I am something of an expert in CVs and cover letters, having spent considerable time and energy (as well as professional advice similar to PP) revamping and customizing them many times. In my case, it still did not make a difference and since they do not respond, one just keeps spinning wheels.

Unfortunately, coming back to the UK is not an option for me even though I did just that 6 years ago and was very successful. As the saying goes only in America.......

Good luck to everyone in what is probably the toughest career out there. You also need plenty of luck which of course, cannot be taught!

ex-757driver