PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ISK Superbase!
Thread: ISK Superbase!
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2004, 06:22
Magic Mushroom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SandyPit,
I don't think that your source is quite as good as you think. It makes no sense whatsoever to move the ISTAR fleets up to Kinloss.

Firstly, investment in Waddo over the last 5 years (let alone 10!) totally outstrips that at Kinloss. We also have had a new Sgt & WOs Mess, gym, Hive (oops sorry, I mean 'Integrated Welfare Facility'!), MT and taxiway refurbishment. Additionally however, there has been major investment for Sentinel involving building the huge 5 Sqn HQ, Sentinel sim building and refurbishing hangars. Currently, there is also an Officers' Mess extension going up to accomodate the Sentinel guys.

Going back 10 years, AWC, EWAD and EWOSE have all had large and extremely expensive buildings produced. The former also includes the 51 Sqn HQ and EROSS.

Additionally, whilst we can easily operate out of Kinloss in an E-3D, your teeny weeny runway places some endurance limitations on us, despite what Trap One suggests.

Accordingly, I would suggest it very unlikely that anything will happen to Waddo. Indeed (for what it matters) we've been told as much by several 'star' ranks lately. And they would never tell porkies would they?!!!

If I were a betting man I'd say that there is a strong likelyhood that Scampton will be reborn. Nimrod MR2s (although you may need a runway stretch?), 1ACC, TCW, a CRC have all been linked to that unit.

Here's my prediction of what the RAF will look like in 2010:

Benson: Chinook, Merlin.
Coningsby: Typhoon.
Marham: GR4 (+ Global Hawk?).
Waddington: E-3D, Sentinel, Nimrod R1.
Scampton: Nimrod MR2.4 (+Predator?), Reds, TCW, 1 ACC etc.
Brize: A330, C-17, C-130J, A400M.
Cranwell: MFTS.
Shawbury: DHFS.
Cottesmore: GR9.
Leuchars: Typhoon.
Lossie: GR4.
Valley: Hawk.

I certainly envisage huge real estate sales by the MoD in the next 5 years.

And before all you Nimrod types go into Silverback, Alfa male mode and start accusing me of Kipper bashing again, when the E-3D first started at waddo 13 years ago, I actually rekoned that we'd have been better up at Lossie or Kinloss. This was due to the large amount of Nav and AEO wasters whose only motivation to get onto the E-3D was to get away from Scotland and who did no credit to the aircrew branches. I'm BLOODY glad we're not in Scotland now mind!

Regards,
M2

Last edited by Magic Mushroom; 19th Feb 2004 at 06:38.