PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Panic Attacks ATPL
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2004, 20:33
MikeLewis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello all,

Firstly Bluewind, I suffered from anxiety not depression. However, any mental health problem seems to be bundled into the same bag in the medical world. I would have thought it to be a more exact science. When I had my problems I found it quite disturbing. This probably turned one isolated incident into a problem that lasted several weeks. What sorted me out; was to understand the problem. I soon realized that the main problem was the fact that I was worrying about another attack, which in turned made me anxious. I think you may be in a similar situation. I really do recommend doing some research and trying to rationalize the problem. Hope this helps.

JG1 thanks for the information. It really did give me a chuckle. I’ve already written a book, called ‘The UK’s Worst Hotels’, so watch out for my next release. What you described would probably put some people off, but not me. I go to work every morning stare at a monitor and count the hrs till I can go home. I sit in a nice office where the temperature never changes. I have access to tea, coffee, and crisps whenever I want and get paid good money. Some people would kill for my job, I’m sure! However, it really isn’t for me. Going to Africa and getting Dysentry seems quite appealing at the moment. Well the Africa bit does!

I know what you are saying. People build up pictures of what commercial flying is all about. Nice hotels, lots of cash, etc the list goes on. I’m not that naïve. I know it’s not going to be like that. I have one reason for wanting to become a commercial pilot and that’s a passion for flying. It’s that simple. Whatever comes with it, I’ll deal with. It’s what I want to do. I’m not interested in making money, big houses and nice car. So I’ll end up with no cash. It won’t be the first time.

I think the main point in your message was :

“Have a word with a few insiders before you commit yourself”

I think this is good advice to anyone in my position. I have spoken to a couple of people and I am gradually building up a “realistic” picture. Your comments have helped.

mazzy1026 Yep, I know more than a few. I would go into them now but I’ll probably get internet busted for being online to long. Hmmm I think I’ll add that to my negative list.