PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EU / USA open skies negotiations
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2004, 02:48
akerosid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Any update on Open Skies talks

Open Skies talks were to take place today (Tues, Feb 17) between the two sides; haven't heard any outcome so far. If talks extend into a second or third day, it could be a positive move, i.e. that something solid is going to emerge.

The Americans are hoping that some progress can be made with the small number of existing EU countries which haven't already achieved Open Skies with the US (notwithstanding the EU Court ruling). These include the UK, Greece, Ireland and one other, which escapes me right now. This "early harvest" approach could result in a deal with one or more of these countries, while leaving more complicated issues to be dealt with.

As for the US benefiting less than Europe, I'd disagree. The US has always been a leading driver in this process. If there is open skies, there'll be greater competition, therefore cheaper access to the US for European tourists and to the EU for US exports. Sure, ALL carriers (not just US ones) will have to smarten up, but the overall effect for both economies will be positive. I think US carriers would welcome greater access. Fewer restrictions means greater opportunities.