PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rumour or News? Server Too Busy!!!
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2004, 22:23
Danny

aka Capt PPRuNe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We have already PURCHASED a new, all singing and dancing, multiple bells and whistles, sooper dooper server. It is undergoing testing as I write this and should be on-line within a month. The server is being relocated to the UK and once on-line should remove all the server too busy messages for about a year... hopefully.

I think 126.9 is aggrieved that some of his posts may have been deleted from one or two threads on R & N where I thought the content was so far off topic and diverting the thread into areas that were not relevant for the forum. Trouble is, with an attitude such as the one expressed by 126.9, there is probably a feeling of persecution. Rest assured though, I delete all posts that I think are irrelevant and likely to draw an hot topic off course.

Of course one mans censorship is anothers editorial control. Methinks that 126.9 is under the flawed impression that because PPRuNe is on the WWW and it is accessible to anyone that it should be subject to 'free speech', which probably means to 126.9 that anything can be written with impunity. There is no such thing as free speech, at least here and I have never tried to hide the fact that PPRuNe is run as a dictatorship, albeit a benevolent one.

As is proven here, 126.9's post has not been censored at all. It has been MOVED, with a link, to this forum but to call that censorship shows an extremely poor understanding of the word and its meaning. I think it more likely to be a bruised ego, not used to the experience of not getting its own way! Of course 126.9's credentials don't exactly leave me worrying that I should heed the advice offered in the first post. As long as the best argument offered is a comparison to the php website with no technical data then perhaps I should't lose too much sleep over it!

BTW, PPRuNe actually has about 200,000 visitors as the ratio of 'guests' to registered readers is 3:1. Referring to the number of registered members is not a reflection of how busy the server is. It is the number of people actually viewing the website at any one time that will determine the load on the server.

Just checked the php board out and it would appear that during PPRuNe's peak time (1100 UTC to 1400 UTC) they only had 221 users online (38 Registered and 183 Guests). Also, the most users ever online was 620 on Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:31 am. At our peak time, on average, we have 500-600 users on line and during the quietest times we still have 200-300 on at any one time. I challenge 126.9 to delve into the stats and the type of server and the peak times for the php website and give me something to argue about!