PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 Crosswind Take Off technique
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2004, 20:07
Idunno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Field In Sight, Yes I know the AA accident was not crosswind related. I mentioned it because it was a well known accident created by 'innappropriate' flight control operation contrary to the manufacturers guidelines (I'm trying to be as non controversial as possible here). Meantime my own instructors are teaching a flight controls technique "contrary to the manufacturers guidelines", and indeed their own book.

BRAKES HOT, they actually had me practice displacing the stick until I could see spoiler deployment, then backing off a fraction to stow them and referencing that position as a 'learned' displacement for x-wind t/o. Pretty hard trick to control stick displacement that finely on a bumpy/gusty x-wind t/o.
Try it yourself.

They maintain the roll rate demand should be held into the rotation (contrary to Airbus) because if you zero the stick the upwind wing will lift as you rotate. This may well be true, but if the wind suddenly drops off (i.e. after a gust) you may equally get airborne with the upwind wing dropping and that roll being added to by your own upwind roll demand...pod scrape!