PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do we “bump down” these days? I was taught to land……
Old 17th Feb 2004, 07:03
dogcharlietree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
1) Pax ALWAYS judge a pilot by his/her landings only.
Nothing else matters to them.
2) Friends of mine who constantly fly domestic in Oz are always commenting on the HARD landings these days. What has changed, they ask me. Ah.. I reply, the standard of the aviator!!!!
3) Aircraft with trailing link undercarriage (ie the one-four-sex whusper jet) by design allow for smoother landings.
4) The different aquaplanning speeds should be considered for landings and aborted takeoffs.
5) Some aircraft have spoiler deployment after main wheel spinup. ie Diesel 9.
6) Conditions in Oz (weather and runways) are almost always in our favour to conduct smooth landings (for RPT).
7) From my old friend AC Kermode (Mechanics of Flight) "The art of landing an aeroplane consists of bringing it in contact with the ground at the lowest possible vertical velocity and, at the same time, somewhere near the lowest possible horizontal velocity relative to the ground."
8) Ah, I'd like to see some of these so called pilots these days land a DC-3. I'd make a motza selling seats, for spectators, coz nobody would ride with them.