PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EU / USA open skies negotiations
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2004, 03:59
Diesel8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bill,

I work for an LCC in the US, so really cannot say I am that concerned, but I also realize, that Western countries enjoy a higher pay scale than former eastern bloc countries do. If for eg. CSA is allowed to run rampant through the EU, what do you think it will do to your wages.

Apparently, the latest push comes from BA. Why is the access to US markets so important, because there perhaps money to be made? There is also a lot of money to be made out of LHR, yet only two US carriers are allowed access, something that open skies will not be able to change, because of slot constraints.

US has the highest amount of passengers and there really are not that many US carriers that is wanting to set up shop in EU land. I think Rod is foaming at the mouth, thinking about setting up shop here, just like Richard Branson is. Not sure how much VE pays, but if VA is any indication, he will pay very low wages.

Now, if you also pushed for the acceptance of FAA licenses as complying with JAR, then perhaps we could talk, but from reading these boards an others, it becomes apparent that JAR to FAA is relatively painless, whereas the other way is an absolute nightmare. One could even go so far, as to call that protectionism.

Then of course, we have the fact, that there are not that many americans flying for EU carriers, while plenty of eu nationals here. I think it would be much easier for a frenchman to get hired at AA than an american getting hired by AirFrance.

I could go on, with why I think it is a bad idea for us, but I think you get the point. Open skies, in my eyes, would be great for EU, but would not do much for the US.