PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tiree/Barra/Fair Isle/Sumburgh
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2004, 02:05
Avoiding Action

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Flying In the Highlands & Islands

Spent 2 yrs up there with the forces and did a lot of PPL VFR flying - can't speak highly enough of it.

Agree with all the above on Barra - just remember to plan your flt around the tide times!

Tiree is an old wartime strip, bags of runways. If you're there on a good weather day, it's gorgeous; the visibilty goes on for miles... However, on a bad day it's very bad. Can remember almost getting stuck in there as the cloud suddenly came down, and didn't enjoy creeping back to Oban along the Sound of Mull at LL in conditions that were barely VFR!

I did one trip to Shetland / Fair Isle. If you go that far, you might as well press as far north as Muckle Flugga lighthouse - most northerly in the British Isles, and well worth having the logbook. Sumburgh is fine, but you'd get a better reception at Lerwick - closer to the town as well and, when I was there, cheaper fuel.

Fair Isle is great. You can see some pictures at www.fairisle.org.uk. (Some of the aerial ones are mine!) The chap to speak to is Dave Wheeler - he runs the met reporting and the airstrip, amongst other things. Really helpful bloke and very pro aviation. Make sure you get a brief from him. The strip can have some killer rotor winds in certain conditions and he'll tell you where the worst concentrations of brids are at. Brilliant place though - can't wait to go back!

Don't forget the Orkneys - stunningly beautiful, and you can fly the shortest scheduled air route in the world.

PM me if you need more specifics

AA