PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When will it improve?
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2004, 23:32
G SXTY

Supercharged PPRuNer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

I’ve lost count of wx cancellations, but it was something like 8 for the QXC and 14 for my last hour of solo XC. It’s as frustrating as hell, (and can happen any time of the year) but one of the joys of flying in the UK – you’ll just have to live with it.

The old cliche; “It’s better to be down here wishing you were up there than up there wishing you were down here” is never more true than when the weather gets nasty. You’ll have plenty enough to do as a solo student without having to worry about wx.

Imagine turning finals towards a south-west facing runway on a hazy winter’s afternoon, only to find that the nice airfield that was clear as a bell from the overhead has now disappeared, and you’re crawling along in yellowy-white soup.

Or arriving back from your QXC to discover that the wind that was straight down the runway a few hours ago is now gusting across it at 20kts.

Or getting back from a jolly round the local area to find the PROB 30 CB that was nowhere to be seen when you left is now sitting over the airfield.

Ask me how I know . . .