PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Panic Attacks ATPL
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2004, 23:07
MikeLewis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Panic Attacks ATPL

After failing the selection process to become an RAF pilot I initially gave up any hope of following my dream profession. Instead I pursued my current IT career. Approximately three years ago I realised that although lucrative, IT was not for me, and hopes of one day becoming a pilot still hadn’t subsided. Becoming a commercial pilot seemed the way to go.

Initially I tried to get sponsorship, but like so many others, found that airlines were not actively recruiting and competition for the few openings extremely high. With my mind made up I decided that if I couldn’t get sponsorship I’d pay the training costs myself. After researching the courses available in both this country and abroad, I decided that my training should be completed in the UK. As this is where I would ultimately wish to work. Unfortunately, this makes the cost even higher.

It became apparent that to earn the money required (within approximately 2yrs) I would need to leave permanent employment and become a freelance consultant. This I did and took on as much work as possible. The good news is that I now have the money required. But it unfortunately came at a health cost.

After some time I began to suffer from Panic Attacks which I visited my GP about. He was genuinely amazed that the workload and stress I put upon myself hadn’t affected me sooner. He prescribed the drug for Seroxat for a period of six months. The symptoms went away within a week or two of beginning treatment and have never returned. I have been in contact with the CAA Medical Department and have been told that this will not prevent me being issued a Class1 medical certificate.

However, I am concerned that this blot on my medical records will prevent me securing employment or restrict my career prospects. I would be most interested in hearing people’s opinion on this matter. I also urge people to be honest and not to be afraid to say something that they may think will deter me. Although I have no wish to give up I certainly wouldn’t want to spend every penny I have, not to have a career at the end of it.

Thank you for taking the time to help.