PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAS MD-80 Rejected Take-Off at DUB
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2004, 14:23
Conor.M

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SAS MD-80 Rejected Take-Off at DUB

Does anyone have any details of a rejected Take-Off of an SAS MD-80 from Dublin Airport on Saturday 14th February this year? The flight involved was the 12:10 SAS Dublin to Copenhagen service, SK538 I think.

My Father was a passenger on the flight and according to his recollection of what the Captain said, the Aircraft, weighing 63 tons, had reached 200 Kph during take off when a hydraulic system warning light illuminated on the flight deck. Believing he was losing hydraulic fluid, the Captain decided that all things considered he would rather stay on the ground and on came the anchors. The aircraft dived forward with such force that my father thought they had suffered from a burst tire. As the aircraft left the runway, it was met by several units from the Dublin airport fire service. Once the front wheel assembly had been given sufficient time to cool it returned to the gate, the passengers were off loaded and the brakes and tires were replaced. Using the same aircraft, the flight eventually left Dublin at about 16:00.

According to the Captain, this was his first rejected take off in over 20 years. I was just wondering if anyone had any additional information about the incident.