PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tales of An Old Aviator .... The Big Chill
Old 16th Feb 2004, 12:55
Duke Elegant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One day, before the flying lobster event, I was hangin' about my motel room in Brantford ONT , waiting for nightfall in order to fly cargo to Yarmouth, N.S.

There was a knock on the door and there stood my co-pilot, who, incidentley, was soon to endure one hell of an adventure out over the Atlantic.

He ambled up to me and mumbled something like, "here this is for you" and never did really look at me .. . then, away he went.
There was a small shopping bag in my hand.

Inside was a nice pentagon shaped wooden box, which, upon opening, was a clock.

Inside was engraved 'HONOUR IS A MAN'S GIFT TO HIMSELF"

So he did pay attention. I had told him this months ago and I was touched.

Honour is hard won.

In the eightees, there were four of us in A26's and we had taken off from Manning for a leisurley base change to High Level, less than an hour away. There was Bhudda the base manager, Turbo, Mr Magoo and me. I had an engineer riding with me and he promptly went to sleep. We had all levelled off at the same altitude and were in sight of each other. The sun was warm thru the canopy but it was smooth. I could see the Peace River to my right and three bombers to my left. We droned on.

Magoos's bomber was slowly making it's way toward me so I kept an eye out and waited for his call. Maybe he wanted to formate , take some pictures... maybe not.No call.

He was exactly at my altitude and now I could see his helmet clearly thru the canopy .... looking down at a map. I shook Kirk awake and pointed to my left. His eyes went as big as dog's balls. We had no intercom. I dove gently and let him roar overhead maybe fifty feet away.

We then watched him to our right. He must have seen the Peace and realized he was too far East and banked left ...... RIHT TOWARD US AGAIN. The first thing he saw was my A26 and he dived sharply away. Kirk simply shook his head.

Magoo must have poured on the coals because we didn't see him again till we landed. I taxied for fuel and shut down.

We sat on the wing and waited. I said to Kirk, "Listen Mate! We know that was stoopid of Magoo but I would like to keep our mouths shut because he is old and Bhudda has been trying to get rid of him ... this would do him in"
"No worries," says Kirk, "I agree"

The gooper comes running over to tell us there is an important meeting and I should attend so Kirk said he would refuel for me. So I amble over to the briefing room. That alone pissed Bhudda off and that was my sport.

Bhudda drew himself up to full height and, pompously droning on.... "It has been reported to me," he says looking straight at me. I knew nothing. He seemed to think he had me...on something... " that a very ser..."

Those are the few words he got out when the spring went off in my arse that rocketed me out of my chair, finger already pointing..
I knew what was coming..
"Enough!!," I bellowed as I strode to the door and in my Army voice, "invited" Kirk to join us.
I spun around, "Nothing more till he gets here!"

Kirk arrived. "Tell this group here what happened" He related the story calmly,

You see, Magoo had rushed to town to squeel on me.

"More importantly," says I, "Kirk, what did I say on the wing"

Again, he explained how I had tried to protect Magoo. I glanced at Magoo and saw a 66 year old man with tears in his eyes ... he had realized his fu*k up.

I strode outside and was on my own when I was approached by Magoo. He aplologized... and asked for forgiveness.

A simple "yes" was a good investment in a long friendship that endures to this day.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rebel

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
They call it the D.B Cooper switch... could someone elaborate on this?

Hi Duke I'm very sorry to learn of your illness and I'm sure with your positive attitude that you'll beat it...I will say a prayer for you.

The Cooper switch was simplicity in itself. The engineers installed a vane on the outside of the fuselage that blocked the rear stair opening circuit when air flowed over it.

I wish you a speedy recovery and please keep the stories coming as they are simply fantastic...

Fly1

Duke Elegant...please keep the stories coming, they are awesome. Best of luck with your fight...wish I could have been your co-pilot on some of these trips A career most of us could only wish for!

Take care,
Fly1

Linecrew

Posted: 2003-05-23 09:19
Neat follow on...the last 7 airworthy spruce budworm spraying Avengers are up for sale! I found the company's website and saw this: http://www.forestprotectionltd.com/tbmforsale.htm

[ This Message was edited by: linecrew on 2003-05-23 12:01 ]

MissFortune

Posted: 2003-05-27 11:44
my dear dad,
well well well...look who's here. me. we spoke of your latest posts the other day and i have been glued to my computer all morning. is it duke elegant...or duke eloquent? very well written, dad. you do certainly weave a fine tale...and to all you out there - most of it is actually true!!! (hehe.) i too wanted to give you props (no pun intended) to encourage you in your writing endeavors. as you well know, and have taught me (yes, i was listening - sometimes): when one door is closed, another is opened. you may not be up in the air, but you've found your other passion and talent in words.
i'll be back here soon...keep writing!

talk to you later...

me.