PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas jets in near collision
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2004, 18:15
DirectAnywhere

Received 164 Likes on 36 Posts
For crying out loud, what's the problem?

Firstly, it is a requirement to land with a clearance. No, ifs, buts, maybes or questions as to the logic of that. IT IS A RULE!! There is no room to apply "common sense" and that's for everyone's protection. If you don't like it, make a submission to the Minister of Transport. Who knows what may happen?

OK, now I've vented my spleen, CAT III minima for QF aircraft are as low as 20' HAT. From that position the wheels will generally touch the ground while the aircraft is conducting an automatic go-around. Is this safe?? You betcha. It's been tested - and done - so many times it's routine, day-to-day. If an aircraft conducts a go-around from 20' due to Wx does it make the paper?? Do Wayne Swann and Bob Katter have a hissy fit?

During base training aircraft...gasp...touch down...take half the runway to reconfigure and...shock horror, become airborne again. I thought I was going to die when I did mine....give me a break.

I can forgive Wayne Swann and Bob Katter but for pilots to be questioning the need for a landing clearance and the Captain's response to a lack of that clearance, really makes me wonder.

Last edited by DirectAnywhere; 15th Feb 2004 at 18:26.