PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas jets in near collision
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2004, 13:51
Cloud Cutter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Point taken DirectAnywhere, I just wonder why the decision to go around was left so late - of course it's probibly just that expert reporting again. A missed approach in itself is obiously no big deal unless there are extenuating circumstances. I can think of one incident where a B737 crew elected to land with a departing HS748 still to get airborne (same rwy) after a conditional landing clearance was issued - the tower (realising the impending stuff-up) instructed the 73 to go around, the Boeing captain decided to land as he deamed this to be a safer option than the go around and resulting seperation issues. Granted, the situation in Brisbane was much more straight forward.

Further to Pual Martin's post, at many airports in countries like France and USA you may be cleared to land with other aircraft to use not only your runway, but a crossing runway before you eg. KSFO. I accept that the pilots involved in this instance had no other option - so I agree with Paul that perhaps a mordernisation of the rules is required. This is just my opinion - some people may think that this sort of discretion could create more of a problem?

What do others think?