PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - noise campaigners-the right to moan?
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2004, 00:47
No comment

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had numerous email altercations with that guy who fronts HACAN, the bunch that campaign against LHR night flights. I can understand to a degree their problem but when an awful lot of their members live near/on the A30 or within earshot of the M25 you dont hear any real debate about road noise or the 44-tonners that rumble through there towards Western International Market. Research also shows that a passing high speed train (like those that run just to the North of LHR) has a more substantial "footprint" than that of a modern jet.
I really dont think theres that much cause for argument around Heathrow. Triple glazing, cutting back on night flights and general decrease in aircraft noise just goes unnoticed.

Gatwick already implements a voluntary QC4 ban and so its only DAS Air that are allowed to use DC-10s at night. Never hear much thanks from the community about that one... A lot of complaints actually occur when theres a go around with the subsequent non-standard departure. Mind boggles as to whether people would prefer airprox's to a brief noise as someone passes over their house.

Cant speak for any other airports but I'm sure they do their bit. But I know that Jo'burg has quite a strict rule on night departures too.

On a 'lighter' note, you would think that residents around the old Croydon airport would have 100% less cause to complain since the closure back in the 1950s... Wrong, the local model aircraft club has had to cut back its activities and now can only fly at certain arranged times due to noise. Do they know that all model aircraft owners up there had to pass a noise test? Do they notice that the little ****s on scooters and motorbikes on Roundshaw common are louder than a model aircraft?

Besides the point I guess but still bugs me!