PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - noise campaigners-the right to moan?
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2004, 20:40
RUDAS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
noise campaigners-the right to moan?

i'm posting this because i'd like to get your views as fellow pilots on the trend towards increasing pressure by communities living near airports to reduce acft noise by restricting operating hours,imposing noise-reducing departure procedures etc.

My arguement,and I'm using Heathrow as my example,is that firstly,the airport was there long before any of the residents,so they knew what they were getting into before moving there,and therefore are actually being very unreasonable by expecting the airport to curb its operations to suit them.

Secondly,you'd have to be deficient upstairs not to realise that if you move nearby to the world's busiest airport,you'd be in a noisy environment that,like with most things,is bound to expand and develop,so why didn't they think about this before moving there?

i understand that BAA has even installed double glazing for people free of charge near lhr in an effort to satisfy them,and they apparently are involved in many community endeavours like schooling,public projects etc,and yet these people still have the cheek to complain constantly about the noise!

Its unbelievable.In short,if you dont like the noise,why did you move there in the first place?