PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USAAF practices shooting down airliners...
Old 14th Feb 2004, 05:51
FOZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How about technology that enables the plane to be controlled remotely while disabling the cockpit controls? It would have to be very secure, of course, but I think it's possible.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No doubt that this is technically possible, even to the extent of having no flightdeck crew, but you would then be at the mercy of ground based technically minded terrorists who may be able to do more damage than before (and live to do it again).

I somehow think that an occupied flightdeck with a locked door is more preferable.

I also feel that it would be unlikely that a 9/11 type event would happen again in the near future as the suspicions of the crew and passengers would be aroused much earlier with "spur of the moment" action taken.

I'm afraid that today's terrorist is more imaginative and sadly will plot to carry out the act that no-one expects again-and we can't prepare for that.