PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline Psychometric Tests
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2004, 17:34
Pilot Pete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airlines that use this sort of categorisation don't look for only one 'type', rather certain traits that many different types can have, so don't think there is only one 'ideal' profile that all pilots must fit into, there isn't. Many moons ago the ethos was that the old 'stable extrovert' was the be all and end all of character sets for pilots. This had it's merits as these people tend to be able to function under pressure, judging facts as presented to them and making judgement calls and actually 'doing something' which is pretty desirable in an emergency!

But, there is a downside as well, if all your pilots are stable extroverts (and extreme ones at that) they are unlikely to work well as a team, hence the cross section of personalities that airlines tend to desire now, but still with the ability to make correct judgements (but hopefully with an open enough personality to acknowledge that we are all able to make bad ones too!)

A good cross section has been found to be more desirable to enlightened airlines so don't worry specifically which one you are, rather that you remain totally honest and consistent when answering these profiles to ensure you get consistent results.

I have several links to tests and explainations on my website, if you click the WWW on my profile.

Regards

PP