PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New RAF Recruitment Ad.
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2004, 17:03
Biggus

Received 74 Likes on 34 Posts
At the risk of opening up a big can of worms, here are some thoughts from an old git (40-50 age range) reference the 'yoof' of today!

First of all I am talking about aircrew, and Officers in the main. Now when I joined the RAF years ago, going via Biggin Hill for selection (yes, well I said I was old), all the aspiring candidates were avaition fanactics. They had been building airfix kits since about 10, read every aviation book they could get their hands on, been in the ATC, had gliding proficiencies, knowledge of the history and current structure of the RAF, knew which aircraft they wanted to fly, were well turned out, keen as mustard, ... . Well you get the drift.

Now cut to today. During general conversations on the Sqn it has come to my notice that quite a few of the young generation have no previous background in avaiation, and, when asked the question 'why did you join the RAF', answer something to the effect, ' I had to do something/get a job when I left university'. Or 'I had a couple of crap jobs and somebody suggested the military to me', etc, etc.....

Comments, agreement, rebutals, etc!