PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2004, 08:21
FTI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Karhu..

I have passed these same tests.

Twice.

The first time I applied, there was only 4 of us out of the multitude that went into the office that day that actually were applying for aircrew - for all forces.

I was the only one that got through.

I know you know how stressful it is going in there and getting through the initial testing, and how damn good it feels when you get through it all.

I had my psych on the same day as all my initial testing, and I can tell you that it was probably the most nerve wracking of all the testing that I had to do that day. The reason being that it was a matter of one person's opinion, not on a standardised number of correctly answered (or indeed just answered) questions.

That was the thing that got me the most.

I was honest, and I will be now too. I don't have the best marks of a pilot applicant, and I am now 25 years old, and about to apply again this April/May. I want this like you wouldn't believe, and I can't possibly intimate to you how much this means to me via the horribly inadequate medium of words.

My advice is, as per above advice, is not only to be honest, but to be honest with yourself. There is a very real possibility that you may be waiting for some considerable time before you get a shot at FSP and Officer Board, so either don't let yourself lose focus, or make sure that there is nothing else that you could want more.

The psychs are there to make sure that you have not only the right motivation for wanting to be there, but are also there to make sure that the Defence Force isn't wasting time and money on people that they can be certain won't make it to the end.
I have heard the opinion that from the moment you walk through the door they are trying to make you fail, and in a sense, this is true.
They don't so much want you to fail, but to find the ones that they can tell will succeed.

If there is one thing that I have noticed in a very large way is that the attitude of those actually in the service is very very supportive of those that are trying for this profession, whereas the attitude of those in the recruiting sections is almost one of indifference.

But that is what they are there to do. They aren't there to pander to you, and gee you up when you feel you can't make it.

One last piece of advice. Talk to as many pilots as you can. They give you advice that is absolutely priceless and that will really give you the best idea of what you are about to undertake.
Depending on your location, it is fairly simple to get access to these guys and they are always happy to see someone else going for Pilot.

As you and I both know, this is the best job in the world.
I will not stop until I am allowed the privelige of wearing the wings, and I pray you don't either.

The very best of luck.