PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CRM summed up
Thread: CRM summed up
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2004, 03:43
CaptainFillosan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Every so often this subject raises it's ugly head. Yep, ugly. Because that is what it is. Or put more simply it is two people NOT being interactive on the FD. Sadly, it is a fact of life that the the LHS or the RHS can cause the ugliness - fact isn't it. Again simply put it is probably professional jealousy in some measure. However, it is also the breathtaking arrogance of some of the newer FO's who believe that "I can teach this Captain a thing or two!" who are just out of training with 250hrs who plainly do not know how to milk every last ounce of experience from some bloody fine Captains. But first, did they ever learn that CRM is important? CRM was always going to be a process that was easy to introduce but had the potential to disappear up it own orifice. And in many ways it has already. MCC could go that way too.

But let us get one thing straight. The ANO states legislation which is firmly rooted in parliament, from whence each word in it's 'unambiguous' pages came - well almost all - as we know some of the rules are stupidly absurd. But...... it fixes beyond doubt that the Captain is the commander of the aircraft. He alone is responsible for it's safe performance and operation. No if's, no but's, no doubts. If the FO cocks-up it is from the Captain that the company will seek explanations. The Captain is designated the master of the aircraft he flys and his will shall be obeyed. In theory yes, but somebody at the CAA (I remember it well) many years ago bought in mandatory CRM. Cost the company's a lot of dosh too. But people liked it then. Now it's something that some Captains and FO's think they could well do without. See. It was bound to happen.

So now who is responsible for this apparent breakdown of CRM? Is it the crew? Maybe, but then it might be that teaching CRM has given too much away and let the FO feel that he has as much right to be the commander and the commander does. I know it happens, I have witnessed it. So just take another look at discretion's post at the top. Is what he is saying what is happening on the FD? I have to say I think he might be for the reasons I make above.

He says and I quote:

Good CRM is essential for the safe operation of any commercial aircraft,some need it a lot more than others.!
Do you agree with that? I can, but only if it is GOOD, I repeat, GOOD. But if you experiences instances I describe then it is not good and causes bad feeling during operations. That is most certainly not GOOD.

beamer voices another NOT GOOD instance:

As one BA 757/767 ex-Hamble Captain said to his new First Officer ( RAF, CFS, TRE/IRE etc) when questioned about some aspects of aircraft performance - 'Shut Up and Look out of the window' - somethings never change.......................
That Captain deserves a swift kick. The FO actually deserved some respect with such strong experience, but what the Captain said (if indeed he said it - hearsay and that sort of thing!) lost him any respect due to him. The FO IMHO was simply trying to gain information. The Captain should have responded positively but was perhaps, trying to mark the FO's card although he didn't deserve it.

The FD is a place where every part of the operation must be conducted with professionalism, interactively, with skill and with absolute co-operation from both the LHS and the RHS. The FO will, if he has an ounce of nous, will look, learn, listen and operate the aeroplane the same way that the Captain does. If the Captain does it a different way politely, and diplomatically, ask why he does it that way. But....if the Captain by chance managed a cock-up, and we all have, DO NOT set out to make him look foolish. Vice-versa also applies. That's good CRM!

But...........I still think that CRM will be it's own worst enemy unless the trainers make every effort to get it absolutely right in the first place!