PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tornado scares shit out of civvy helo
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2004, 03:34
Experienced Bloke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HummingFrog.

Good points, all well made.

This area of airspace definitely does not get enough visibility in the flying community and needs some form of proper control/discussion. I just know that the topic will be flavour of the month now, but it needs constant pressure.

All FJ operators I know make a mandatory call to Aberdeen when they transit the coast, and ALL of them are below 1000ft. I know, I taught most of them.

If it had been an F3 there is no guarantee he had his radar on (or even that it was servicable). Even the GR4 has a limited Air-to-Air capability (if the radar is on and it is servicable). However, no matter what mark of Tornado, there is no substitute for good airmanship and an RT call.

We are all aware of the height band of the Helicopters, but also aware of their changes, especially for icing. This puts you right into our height bracket though (and normally when the weather is at its worst).

Points for the Helicopter guys:

Never assume that there isn't some fly boy out there somewhere in his Swing Wing Arrow of Death. Be VERY aware that his lookout is probably considerably more restricted by large chunks of iron work than yours. Also, even though he is probably looking out, he is more used to the sight of other 500 mph aircraft rather than a 120 knot helicopter. Points about the Aberdeen RAS are well made.

Points for the FJ. LOOKOUT, LOOKOUT, LOOKOUT. Never assume that Aberdeen will be able to see you at 250 feet, or that he is even that interested in your VFR transit, south to north, not above 1000 feet. He has more than enought Civvy and helicopter traffic to worry about.

Hope I DONT see you soon. Save a sticky bun and a coffee for me.